Saturday, October 8, 2011

Coping With Change In The Music Biz

The music world changes at a pace like never before.   As I look back over my years as a freelance musician, I marvel at how technology has changed the business.  
  • Records and cassettes to compact discs to digital downloads
  • Drum machines that were once feared are now embraced
  • Hard copy press kits are going the way of the dinosaur in lieu of an electronic version
  • Sheet music can be sent by email right after you are hired for a gig
How well do you handle change?  Did your "steady gig" just get reduced to "occasional?"  Has that agency that you depended on suddenly changed direction?  Have you been asked to use a piece of gear that made you uncomfortable?


I highly recommend checking out Who Moved My Cheese? by Spenser Johnson. 

As musicians, it is important to understand that change occurs and that there are ways to anticipate, cope, and re-invent.   Who Moved My Cheese? provides great insight and suggestions about dealing with change.  

It helped my head!

One of the most challenging questions from the book is:
What would I do if I was not afraid?

No comments:

Post a Comment