Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Gig-Getting Tools

Selling yourself as a musician is hard enough.  
Some tools and knowledge can make the hunt a little more tolerable and fruitful.


Sales management software   Don’t try to make your own homemade spreadsheet version.  Invest in some software (I use Goldmine.) and you will be able to find contacts, see what you quoted, set alarms to remind you to call back on a certain date, and much more.  It’s worth it!
A phone headset  You are going to be sitting at the computer using that aforementioned software, making calls, and entering data.  Keep your hands free to take notes on the computer, scribble a phone number, or practice flute fingering patterns while you talk to the client.


Sales technique book(s)   There was a point at which I knew that to be a successful freelance musician, I was going to also be a salesman.  I eventually realized that I needed some help.  There is no shortage of books that can give you simple steps to improving your sales pitch and closing speech.   One of my favorites is Selling For Dummies by the great master, Tom Hopkins.   As I write this post, the book is within easy reach behind my desk chair.   Packed with easy to understand tips, this book can hone your gig getting chops.

No comments:

Post a Comment