Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Names And Numbers / The Pool Book

Collect and organize names and contact information of musicians and music related services—ALL instruments / ALL styles…I have received more than one call for a BAGPIPER !  Get names of players, P.A. and backline rental companies, studios, folk music clubs, agents…
There are a number of reasons why you need this info:
  1. Contracting / hiring other musicians for projects
  2. Subbing out a gig
  3. General networking (“I can take this job if I can just get three more mikes.  Wait a second…I got that guy’s name that I met last week.  He told me that he rents out his gear.”)
  4. Developing your reputation as a “Good Guy/Gal.”   If you get the call and can’t play the gig, give out some other names and numbers.  (Include the phrase, “Tell ‘em I sent ya.” )  Everyone involved will think you’re swell and someone might return the favor.
My “old school” three ring binder with its many names and numbers was nicknamed “The Pool Book.”

No comments:

Post a Comment